Sunday, May 31, 2009

gotcha!

Kevin has had some pretty crappy birthdays in the past. We moved on two separate occasions ON his birthday. When I was teaching full time, his birthday hit during the last week or so of school and I was always too preoccupied with loose ends at school to put too much time or energy into planning anything too special.
Two years ago, I got his really good for his 29th birthday. I sent him out to golf with a neighbor and when he came home, there was a huge margaritaville surprise party awaiting him with lots of friends stashed away in the backyard.
Last year, even though it was a milestone birthday, we didn't do too much.
This year, I got him again!
We attend a monthly 'wine night' in the neighborhood, and it was planned for this past Saturday. We talked about going and made all the arrangements. We talked about going out to dinner before the party to celebrate his birthday. I call Brio and made reservations (my preschoolers gave me a gift card to Brio as an end of the year gift). We went and had a FABULOUS dinner!
Afterwords, I said I wanted to stop by the outlet mall before heading to the wine party (with the true intention of getting us closer to our actual destination). He agreed and off we went. I 'made' him (as he will tell in his rendition of the story) have a few drinks at dinner so I could drive. We were almost to the outlet mall... but made a left turn a little early. We turned into the drive for the Gaylord Texan. It is a HUGE resort hotel and conference center (google it). He was shocked!
There is a semi-attached night club there called The Glass Cactus. It happened to be 80's night. SO MUCH FUN! Kevin isn't much of a dancer, so after some amusing people watching, I eventually left him to hit the floor. SO RANDOM - he ran into a co-worker at the club so the two of them chatted while I hit the dance floor for a few songs. All in all, it was lots of fun.
We enjoyed a fancy buffet brunch the next morning at the river walk cafe and then actually DID go to the outlet mall (kidless!) before returning home.
A mini getaway, but a getaway none the less!
We need to do that more often!!

pics of us before heading out




and the next morning before brunch

No comments:

Post a Comment